Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cry Baby Cry: American Idol Covers The Beatles

I'd like to say up front that I openly despise American Idol and everything it stands for*. Even more now since the inconsequential televised popularity contest has obtained the rights to the Beatles catalog. For a Beatles fan like me, some say freak, this is like someone ripping out my heart and stomping on it. And then peeing on it. Needless to say, i'm none too happy 'bout it...but I have watched. Ah, I should have known better.

To cover a Beatles song is serious business. At least it should be. Obviously most of the contestants this season (seventh? thirteenth?) don't share this sentiment. I mean, just watch some of the interviews. Through uninspired performances, weak interpretations, and regrettable arrangements (did I just repeat myself in a different way three times?) it's easy to see who has the chops for the Beatles and who doesn't. I've ignored all the crappy performances and really only have two that I think were good. Not great. but good. Note also that i'm commenting on the performance and not the performer as both of my picks muffed other Beatles songs.

The first is Jason Castro singing If I Fell nice and short and to the point. The acoustic guitar is a must and works well with his falsetto bits. I hate myself for saying it but I agree with Paula. And now i'm full of shame.


My next pick is Carly Smithson's rocking version of Come Together. I absolutely hate when people cop out and instead of re-capturing the vibe of a song they simply sing it louder and harder. Carly bypasses that pitfall pretty easily and captures some magic on this one.


Special honor to pre-pubescent David Archuleta singing Lennon's Imagine. Not a Beatles song but stunning none the less.

Also, a quick mention for Michael Johns. I really want to like this guy. He has a good voice and his version of Across The Universe was decent if not a tad paint-by-numbers. Check out Rufus Wainwright's version for the best take on that song and to see how a proper Beatles cover is done.

*I do enjoy when Paula and Simon get into a scrap.

0 comments: